Facilities and accessible seating
The War Memorial Opera House is accessible through the Van Ness Avenue, Grove Street and North Courtyard entrances.
Elevators to the fourth floor are available in the northeast and southeast corners of the building. There is no elevator service to the 5th floor Balcony level.
Restrooms are available on each floor of the Opera House, except the main floor, Orchestra level. Wheelchair accessible restrooms are located on the Lower level, Box level, Grand Tier, Dress Circle and Balcony level. There are no accessible restrooms on the 5th floor Balcony level.
For information about ramp access, please see Accessible Seat Types below.
Wheelchair and Accessible Seating
Accommodations for patrons in wheelchairs or patrons with disabilities and their companions or attendants can be made by calling (415) 864-3330. Wheelchair accessible seating is also available to purchase online.
Please let our Box Office know if your wheelchair status changes to ensure your seating will be correct when you arrive.
Accessible Seat Types
Four accessible seat types are available. Please call the Box Office at (415) 864-3330 if you would like more information.
- Wheelchair space—no seat: These spaces have no physical seat; they are spaces that can accommodate a wheelchair. Wheelchairs are not provided by either San Francisco Opera or the War Memorial Performing Arts Center.
- Accessible companion seat: These are seats for those accompanying a patron with accessible needs.
- Accessible seat—no stairs: No stairs are needed to reach these seats.
- Movable armrests: These seats have armrests that can be tilted upright for easier access to the seat.
Accessible Zone Definitions
Because the War Memorial Opera House is a historic building, not all sections are wheelchair accessible. We match the prices of these inaccessible sections in accessible areas of the Opera House. The locations are described below and shown in our PDF seat map.
- Wheelchair Access @ Orchestra Ring (ORR) Price: wheelchair accessible tickets at the same price as the Orchestra Ring. Located in the back of the main floor in the two center sections.
- Wheelchair Access @ Dress Circle Rear (DCR) Price: wheelchair accessible tickets at the same price as the Dress Circle Rear. Located in the back of the main floor on the right side as you face the stage; they are not located in the Dress Circle Rear.
- Wheelchair Access @ Balcony Circle (BC) Price: wheelchair accessible tickets at the same price as the Balcony Circle. Located in the back of the main floor on the left side as you face the stage; they are not located in the Balcony Circle.
- Wheelchair Access @ Balcony Front (BLF) Price: wheelchair accessible tickets at the same price as the Balcony Front. Located in the back of the Dress Circle in the center sections as you face the stage; they are not located in the Balcony Front.
- Wheelchair Access @ Balcony Rear (BLR) Price: wheelchair accessible tickets at the same price as the Balcony Rear. Located in the back of the Dress Circle on the left side as you face the stage; they are not located in the Balcony Rear.
- Wheelchair Access @ Balcony Side (BLS) Price: Wheelchair accessible tickets at the same price as the Balcony Side. Located in the back of the Dress Circle on the right side as you face the stage; they are not located in the Balcony Side.
Fraud: The Department of Justice has recognized that there has been ticketing fraud in relation to the purchasing of accessible seats and has recently enacted federal laws to protect the rights of patrons with disabilities. San Francisco Opera strives to be in full compliance with these laws.
Assistive listening devices are available for hearing-impaired patrons at the North or South Lobby coat check. ID deposit is required.
Text-to-Voice Supertitles: Live Titles, headsets that provide a spoken version of the projected supertitles, are available at the North Lobby coat check. A major credit card or driver’s license is required for deposit.
Large print cast and synopsis sheets are available at the North and South Lobby coat checks.
Complimentary shuttles run in a loop between Civic Center BART (in front of Burger King on the corner of Grove and Hyde) and the War Memorial Opera House beginning 90 minutes prior and for 45 minutes following each performance in the 2017-18 Season. If you require an ADA accessible shuttle, please email firstname.lastname@example.org 72 hours prior to the performance you wish to attend so we can provide you with advance details regarding your shuttle and make your locating it as seamless as possible.
San Francisco Opera is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website as defined by Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act and level AA of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities. Conformance with these guidelines will help make the web more user-friendly for all people.
In the meantime should you experience any difficulty in accessing the our website, please don’t hesitate to email email@example.com.