DEFINITION: Responsible for costume construction and fitting
Experience and Education: Any Combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to: 2 years experience as a Cutter/Draper in a fully producing Costume Shop
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of: principles and practices of construction of stage costumes and period costume cutting.
- Experience with supervision of staff.
- Knowledge of fabrics and fibers, customarily used in costume construction.
- Ability to work with creative teams and performers using creative and artistic judgment in order to satisfy the artistic needs of the production.
- Ability to plan workloads and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works with creative teams and performers, independently utilizing creative ability and artistic judgment while successfully interpreting costume designs for new productions and to maintaining the artistic integrity of previously mounted productions.
- Creates patterns for garments from costume designs by draping or flat patterning.
- Fits assigned costume pieces and supervise set-up and completion of alterations.
- Supervises the construction of new costumes.
- Manages and directs a team of Assistant Cutter and 2-5 Seamsters, planning work assignments to ensure that work assigned is completed in a timely manner, meeting all deadlines.
- Provides input for new costumes as to the materials for understructures, and suitability of fabric choices and interpretation of sketches.
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF