Special Projects Manager, Production Department
PURPOSE: To project manage activities and to coordinate the production facets of San Francisco Opera’s Centennial Season and other special projects.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in stage management, event management, festival management, production management or project management; OR equivalent work experience.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of five (5) years working in live event production management and administration, preferably with experience in opera.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Exercises excellent judgment and initiative
- Proven leadership capacity and strong experience leading teams in a respectful, effective manner
- Outstanding communication skills; communicates clearly and effectively, whether in person or remotely, both orally and in writing
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to interact professionally, confidentially, respectfully and tactfully with all Board of Directors members, staff, artists, technicians and vendors
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated
- Ability to prioritize and to manage multiple competing tasks successfully
- Flexible and creative; able to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Knowledge of and interest in opera
- Proficiency with production management systems and paperwork
- Understanding of complex scheduling and timelines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel and database skills
- Experience working with and directing large groups
- Experience working with union collective bargaining agreements
- Knowledge of contracting processes and negotiation
- Available to work non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Project management of SFO’s Centennial activities (in-house; offsite; digital; etc.) that lie outside the traditional 2022-23 season framework
- Schedule and run production-related and cross-company Centennial project meetings as assigned
- Create and manage Centennial project calendar, and collaborate with the Rehearsal Department and other colleagues on the scheduling of day-to-day related activities
- Assist in managing the Centennial projects Production budget, working closely with Director of Production Operations & Media
- Oversee planning, coordination and execution of Centennial project programming, events and activities, working closely with Production teammates, with other departments (such as Innovation Programming, Marketing, Archives, Communications, etc.) and with external vendors and creatives
- Work closely with Production Associate to create the system and process through which company-wide Centennial Event requests will flow
- Create, revise and maintain each event/activity critical factors sheet, request forms and timeline, including all event details, key personnel (internal/external) and instructions
- Serve as Production Department liaison for Centennial activities such as documentaries, news pieces, recordings, etc.
- Assist Director of Production Operations & Media in handling external contract terms, and vendor/contractor agreements and payments as needed for Centennial activities
- Oversee notification, scheduling and permissions process for all SFO Centennial projects
- Act as liaison for Centennial Special Projects and other projects as assigned between internal departments, such as Artistic, Operations, Marketing, Communications, Archives, Development, Office of the General Director, DEC (Diversity, Equity, Community), etc.
- When delegated by Managing Director: Production (or her designee), liaise directly with artists, directors, video directors, designers, directors of photography and creative consultants as needed
- Create confidential contact sheets for each event
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF