DEFINITION: To stitch theatrical costumes.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: Any Combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- 1-2 years experience as a Seamster in a fully producing costume shop.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of technical theatrical period construction
- Knowledge of all applicable sewing machine operations.
- Knowledge of hand finishing techniques.
- Knowledge of technical costume vocabulary.
- Ability to use a foot operated industrial machine, overlock, and hem machine.
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to recognize pattern pieces.
- Ability to assemble a boned bodice in 1.5 hours in preparation for a costume fitting.
- Dexterity and keen hand eye coordination.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Construction, alteration and finishing work using both hand and industrial machine stitching, under supervision of Draper, or Draper’s Assistant.
- Pressing and rolling of fabrics.
- Pressing, steaming and labeling of finished costumes.
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF