EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience
• Minimum two years of stage related experience in theatre, opera, music, or performance arts desired
• Experience in opera / music and the performing arts preferred
• Knowledge of opera production scheduling and opera repertoire preferable
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
• Must have reliable daily attendance and punctuality, as well as a professional appearance
• Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically in a team and with others; to establish
effective working relationships and interact effectively with a wide range of personalities and working styles
• Ability to take initiative and work with confidence; to anticipate and solve problems quickly
• Must maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Must have an aptitude to communicate in a clear, professional and patient manner by phone, in writing and in person
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, late night services, and splitshifts
• Must be able to recall a large quantity of names, dates and times
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Outlook & an understanding of Google Docs / general database programs.
• Knowledge of foreign languages, particularly German, Italian, or French desirable
• Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner while working in an environment with a high level of noise and distractions
• Must have the ability to work in onstage conditions: to see clearly in low-light situations such as are common backstage and in the theatre; walk and stand on complex stage settings throughout day-to-day activities
• Ability to sit at a computer/desk for up to eight hours per day; must be able to deliver schedules and escort artists to rehearsal spaces
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Rehearsal Assistant (general duties shared by the Rehearsal Department)
• Provides a welcoming and friendly environment for guest artists, company members, patrons and volunteers.
• Covers the rehearsal office so that there is a staff member physically present at all times during an opera related activity (i.e. rehearsal or performance) either on or off-site.
• Fields questions from artists while they are in San Francisco and directs artists to the proper person when appropriate.
• Distributes, posts, & archives the daily, weekly, and bi-weekly schedules (may assist in cross-referencing/editing certain schedules)
• Covers child-related issues: managing start/end times for studio school, communicating with teachers/parents/wranglers, scheduling & training wranglers/teachers for show running.
• Assists in obtaining Critical Factor information for upcoming seasons and maintains the Critical Factor drive / show archives
• Understands & has a general awareness of all scheduled activities on a daily basis.
• Assists in ensuring that all artists are accounted for prior to rehearsals and performances; contacts all principal artists & the maestro the morning of each performance to confirm wellness, call times, and backstage guests.
• Collects information for principal artist / staff contact sheets and maintains them on a preshow basis.
• Inputs releases into the release database
• Retrieves and distributes mail, invitations, flowers/gifts, and phone message/package notifications to artists/staff.
• Administers & maintains incident report paperwork; disseminates incident report/workers comp documentation to the proper parties.
• Prepares the performance sign-in sheets for on-call/on-duty staff members (Managing Directors, Executive, Artistic, Music Staff, Tech), In-house Doctor, Covers, Studio Teachers,Wranglers, & Child Chorus Reps/Chaperones.
• Compiles a backstage guest list for each performance, updates this list throughout the performance, and prepares the backstage guest list/passes for the door guards
• Compiles a list of scheduled donors attending rehearsals and provides Development with rehearsal access credentials.
• Compiles a ticket voucher list for Artists’ Guests for open final dress rehearsals; works the Artist Guest door or in the office for final dress rehearsals to distribute vouchers & to confirm that all guest admittance policies are being observed.
• Creates principal artist overview charts & free day assignment documents; assists with scheduling same day rehearsal spaces, coaching studios, & dressing rooms—as well as booking conference room requests into the Outlook calendar.
• Remains accessible to the Supernumerary/Facilities Coordinator to assist in the search for & general managing of Supernumeraries as well as assisting with minor Facility issues.
• Greets guest artists upon arrival to WMOH and assists with the Meet & Greet information/script.
• Assists in scheduling Wilsey Center events & booking the Wilsey Large Conference Room.
• Unlocks the rehearsal spaces, coaching studios, & dressing rooms at the WMOH and reports any maintenance issues.
• Directs and/or escorts artists to rehearsal spaces both within the WMOH grounds and external venues.
• Prints and distributes Rehearsal Department reference cards containing important phone numbers & email addresses
• Compiles ID badge requests for artists, staff, spouses and/or families, house doctors, child supers, child chorus organizations, studio teachers, wranglers, and chaperones.
• Handles personal needs of artists/production teams when necessary, such as: food, medicine, taxis
• Creates and changes the dressing room placards according to the onstage rehearsal or performance.
• Maintains the Rehearsal Department Call Board by posting the current version of pertinent information
• Assists Security and House Management with access and/or clearance for guests or unescorted opera patrons
• Responsible for general office maintenance; assists in ordering or purchasing office, hospitality, & medical supplies
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF