The Office of the General Director intern will provide general administrative support to the Office of the General Director, with a focus on executive support and company-facing office functions. This internship is an opportunity for the participant to gain invaluable experience and administrative skills, while learning about the structure and operations of a major performing arts organization. The internship will take place from the end of August to the beginning of December, with the participant engaging in a number of important board and company events including final dress rehearsals, board meetings, and company gatherings. The internship will be paid and require approximately 15-18 hours per week (work schedule is flexible and mutually agreed upon)
Bachelor’s degree, achieved or in progress, from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of one years’ experience providing administrative support.
- Experience working in a performing arts or non-profit organization preferred.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of operatic repertoire or the performing arts preferred but not required.
- Outstanding communication, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) and Google Apps.
- Ability to work independently, exercising good judgment and follow-through.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to prioritize diverse and multiple tasks, maintaining flexibility and attention to detail.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with Board members, artists, staff, the public, and volunteers in a persuasive, professional, diplomatic and friendly manner.
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides key assists to Office of the General Director staff, supporting a number of company-wide initiatives and touchpoints. Duties will include drafting communication, assisting with special projects, managing event logistics, and facilitating key office functions.
- Facilitates logistics for company events such as final dress rehearsals, company meetings, and company culture initiatives, such as employee learning sessions and social gatherings.
- Supports the General Director’s day to day functions through material preparation, travel coordination, and VIP guest hospitality.
- Provides support to the Office of the General Director through a variety of administrative tasks including email communication, calendaring, meeting preparation, event assistance, data management, and research.
- Provides support to the Executive Assistant to the General Director, gaining insights into the executive operations of the company.
- Assists the Special Assistant to the Executive Offices, gaining insights into the board’s structure and governance functions. Assists with board and committee meeting set-up and logistics.
- Assists with the smooth operation of the Office of the General Director.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Application Instructions: E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé, to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.