Music Operations Associate
PURPOSE: To assist the Orchestra Manager and Librarian with personnel management of our union orchestra, music preparation, and other administrative duties to support the work of the San Francisco Opera Orchestra.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Music or equivalent training relative to orchestral music and opera
- Orchestral music background necessary, experience as an orchestra musician and/or as an orchestra librarian preferred.
- Knowledge of opera performance preferred
- Experience with personnel management preferred
- Ability to work flexible hours (daytime, evenings and weekends).
- Ability to lift 25 pounds regularly
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Familiarity with the basic logistics of live performance and audio recording. § Familiarity with orchestral music and parts, instrumentation, ranges, transpositions, common doublings, etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; database and Adobe Acrobat skills.
- Ability to work independently; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to perform complex tasks with attention to detail.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with Music Director, fellow staff, musicians, and guest artists in a professional, confidential and tactful manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Clear, legible handwriting – including musical notation - even on short notice.
- Familiarity with music engraving software, “Sibelius” preferred Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist Orchestra Manager with key personnel support tasks, including payroll management, attendance tracking, managing leave requests, engaging extra/substitute musicians, and more.
- Support Operations and Production Staff with maintaining compliance with mutually agreed working conditions for musicians, as outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Assist with planning and running rehearsals, performances, and auditions.
- Work closely with pit crew to ensure proper pit set up and equipment maintenance.
- Assist with maintenance of instruments owned by the Association, instrument insurance records, and music library holdings.
- Assist Orchestra Librarian in preparation of music, including proofreading, editing, bowing, binding, transposing, copying, scanning, tracking, and cataloging.
- Assist in securing and tracking performance rights, rental fees, licensing agreements, and related deadlines with music publishers and rights holders.
- Assist the Orchestra Librarian in distributing and collecting music, managing conductor requests.
- Track use and purchase of regular and specialized office supplies and equipment.
- General clerical support.
- Other duties as assigned.
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF