Leadership Giving Officer
To develop strategies and manage the cultivation and solicitation plan for each individual in an assigned portfolio of donors who primarily give or have the potential to give between $25,000-$250,000 annually.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (preferred) or equivalent work experience.
Minimum five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in the development field, including proven success in solicitation of major donors with an outstanding record in closing major gifts.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of fundraising, and ticketing and patron services
- Knowledge of performing arts and/or the operatic art form
- Proven success in managing portfolios of 150+ donors and demonstrated achievement in providing superior service and producing excellent financial results from patrons
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products and database navigation
- Tessitura revenue management system experience highly preferred
- Proven track record of identifying, cultivating and soliciting gifts from major donors
- Exemplary diplomacy, problem-solving and teamwork skills
- Must be able to set priorities, coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, and meet firm deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and convey complicated procedures clearly and succinctly
- Establish working relationships and interact effectively with a wide range of people internally and externally
- Ability to work effectively with volunteer leadership and senior staff, involving them, as appropriate, in the cultivation and solicitation process for major donors
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Capacity to attend evening and weekend Opera events and donor meetings in the Bay Area
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develops and implements effective fundraising strategies for 150+ accounts in an assigned leadership giving portfolio, including creating strategies for identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Determines and maintains accurate gift forecasts for each assigned individual
- Matches each assigned donor’s capacity and interest with appropriate Opera programs and priorities for multi-year annual gifts, signature projects and planned giving / endowment needs
- Works closely with department staff and key volunteers to qualify new prospects for annual, capital and endowment funding
- Provides a high level of donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Partners with staff, volunteer leadership and appropriate resources as needed to meet department objectives
- Participate in departmental portfolio review process
- Work as a part of a team to create and maintain an organized donor moves management system
- Meets ambitious portfolio revenue and planned giving goals
- Hosts donors and giving prospects at various events and functions
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of donor contacts and ongoing communication with current leadership donors and prospects via database and hard file notations
- Provides donor services to patrons, resolving complaints and problems via phone/correspondence
- Partners with departmental staff to facilitate events and cultivation opportunities
- Ensures donors are recognized and acknowledged properly
- Performs other job related duties as assigned
Application Instructions: E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé, to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF