DEFINITION: To assist the Draper in the construction and fitting of costumes. Assumes the responsibilities of the Draper in their absence.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- 2 years’ experience as an assistant cutter in a professional shop.
- 1 year experience as a cutter in a smaller professional shop
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of construction of stage costumes; period costume cutting; and fabrics and fibers.
- Knowledge of all applicable sewing machine operations.
- Supervisory experience.
- Ability to work independently; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with artists, staff, the public, and volunteers in a professional, confidential, and tactful manner.
- Ability to organize and direct a crew of 2-4 people.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists in measuring and assigning existing costumes
- Takes notes for alterations from artists and the creative team during dress rehearsals.
- Assist Draper at fittings and take notes whenever needed.
- Makes sure that every alteration is complete according to the notes taken at fittings.
- Sets up alterations or projects for the stitchers.
- Assists the Draper at dress rehearsals, or stands in for the Draper when needed
- Some draping or flat patterning as delegated by the Draper.
- Manages team in Draper’s absence, supervising stitchers and ensuring quality control.
- Responsible for cutting garments, linings, flat linings, facings as delegated by the Draper.
- Supervise staff to ensure all shop rules are adhered to.
- Assist in planning the workload to ensure work is completed in a timely fashion.
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF