Artistic Planning Manager
To work closely with the Managing Director: Artistic to plan, manage, and coordinate activities and operations of San Francisco Opera’s Artistic Department
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferably in the arts or arts administration.
- Advance coursework and/or Master’s Degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience working in an artistic administration role with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Demonstrated knowledge of arts administration along with a track record of success in the field of project management
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; database skills desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of the field of opera, performing arts, and theatrical production.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to implement and evaluate processes.
- Familiarity and knowledge of foreign languages, especially German, Italian, French and/or Spanish.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate people and events effectively and efficiently.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional and tactful manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner.
- Position requires evening and weekend obligations during the opera season.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists the Managing Director: Artistic with the support and oversight of the Artistic Department including direct management of the Artistic Operations & Technology Coordinator, the Artist Services Coordinator.
- Assists in the negotiation of contract terms and financial packages for Principal Artists for mainstage programming as directed by the Managing Director: Artistic.
- Manages and shepherds artistic planning and operations for mainstage and other artistic projects, liaising with artists, agents, and company departments.
- Liaises with stage director and choreographers on behalf of the Company in advance of production periods.
- Produces and manages planning for artistic special projects, including SF Opera Lab, Pop-Ups, and non-mainstage and/or no subscription mainstage artistic programs, as directed by the Managing Director: Artistic.
- Oversees and manages Artistic department involvement in digital content projects, including liaising with artists and creatives, production and media teams, and Philanthropy & Audiences teams.
- Creates and manages all budgets for the Artistic Department and prepares and submits regular forecasting and analysis.
- Oversees all expenses for the department and approves expenses as required or in the absence of the Managing Director: Artistic.
- Oversees department contracting process and the approval of contracts, financial breakdowns and abstracts.
- Oversees artist media rights acquisition process and liaises with company departments on direction and priorities.
- Oversees operations for the department, developing and evaluating new processes for implementation and digital transformation.
- Collaborates with company departments on artistic content for special events, including developing and curating content and
- assigning and/or hiring artists.
- Acts on behalf of the Managing Director: Artistic in providing supervision and continuity during periods when the Managing Director: Artistic is away.
- Maintains relationships with artists and managers and engage in correspondence on behalf of the Managing Director: Artistic.
- Liaises with AGMA on matters related to Principal Artists including information requests and policies/procedures and oversee the distribution of contracting and reporting to AGMA.
- Participates and represents the Artistic Department in company collective bargaining sessions with AGMA.
- Oversees all cross-departmental projects involving artists and/or artistic personnel and communicating casting and planning details with company personnel as needed.
- Attends company general audition sessions for soloists in San Francisco.
- Attends company mainstage rehearsals and supervises principal artists and artistic staff as directed by the Managing Director: Artistic.
- Undertakes public speaking engagements to support and promote the Company and its audience engagement efforts.
- Attend meetings and/or workgroups related to job functions listed above.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Applicantion Instructions: E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF