Director of Human Resources
Manage all Human Resources activities for a Company of 1,000 full-time and seasonal employees. This role will also support in the achievement of strategic and operational goals of the Company and provide HR leadership and direction to the executive and management teams.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification preferred
- Minimum 15 years human resource management experience
- Experience working in a union environment required
- Experience with current DEI best practices required
- Experience working in the performing arts desired.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong human resource skills including an excellent understanding of workers' compensation, labor and employment laws and knowledge of current trends in human resources management
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional, confidential, and tactful manner
- Strong financial, analytical, transactional and project management skills
- Ability to partner and collaborate with areas of the company focused on DEI work, helping to create a more equitable organization
- Knowledge of contract administration
- Proven experience in reducing and minimizing workers’ compensation claims
- Strong influencing and consensus-building skills
- Proficiency in MS Office software and experience with HRIS systems (Ultipro preferred)
- Demonstrated success managing a Human Resources department, including budget management and oversight
- Excellent leadership skills and a hands-on manager
- Must maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively across multifunctional teams
- Ability to think conceptually yet understand the value of detail and thoroughness
- Ability to work independently; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings to support opera performances
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Defines, manages and leads the Human Resources department to enhance the company’s strategic mission, vision, values, culture and the retention and development of employees
- Designs, implements and maintains processes, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in the efficiency of the human resources function; translates strategic business plans into human resources operational plans
- Oversees recruitment process including policies and procedures, job descriptions, applicant tracking, compliance, background checks, employment offers, working to ensure equitable approaches and hiring in the various areas of the Company.
- Partnering with other departments, particularly Diversity, Equity and Community, in the creation and implementation of the Opera’s DEI work.
- Administers the performance review program to ensure value, compliance, and equity; provides training and guidance to managers on how to effectively review and counsel employees
- Working with the executive staff, designs effective, administers, and maintains salary administration program and policies and procedures to ensure compliance and equity within the organization; administers company-wide compensation program
- Identifies and coordinates management and staff training opportunities
- Works with department managers to ensure the consistent application of policies and procedures pertaining to employee relations programs including disciplinary issues, internal investigations, conflict resolution, staff development
- Advises department administrative managers on compliance issues
- Supports Company’s safety and training programs
- Manages employee health and welfare programs and other company-provided benefits such as commuter checks
- Develops, implements, maintains, and interprets human resources policies, programs and procedures; consults with and advises managers of their human resources management responsibilities and the application of human resources policies, standards and procedures
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State and San Francisco laws and ordinances
- Member of Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiating teams
- Provides counsel and insight in union and other contract issue
- Manages and administers workers’ compensation program
- Prepares, recommends, and administers human resources budget
- Provides management reporting as requested and needed
- Manages driver safety program
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Applicantion Instructions: E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF