Responsible for the presentation on the stage of craft related items.
DESTINGUISHING FEATURES: Reports directly to the Sr. Craftsperson and indirectly to the Costume Director
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: Any Combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- 3 years’ experience as a craftsperson working in a fully operational costume shop.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Craft materials to include thermoplastic, buckram, felt, leather.
- Craft methods such as sodering, leafing, sculpting, painting, millinery, and leather work.
- Fabrics and fibers.
- All applicable sewing machine operations.
- Investigation of sources resources, methods, and materials.
- Multitasking, and quick decisions.
- Working independently without supervision.
- Working to a tight time limited schedule.
- Communication and diplomacy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures observance of the costume shop health and safety program complying with all current laws.
- Develops resources and working practices for new materials to be used in the craft area with a preference for non-toxic materials.
- Create new items using artistic ability and creative judgment and, in collaboration with the Senior Craftsperson, determine the best materials for the project.
- Measure and assign existing craft related pieces in collaboration with the Sr. Craftperson.
- Fit assigned craft related pieces and implement set-up and completion of alterations as directed by the Senior Craftsperson.
- When needed supervise the construction of craft items maintaining the highest quality.
- Preparation of materials for construction of craft items.
- During dress rehearsals take notes for alterations from artists and from the creative team when assigned.
- When directed maintain and check craft supply inventory ensuring all products are correctly labeled and in stock.
- Determine individual needs of projects and request supplies as approved by the Senior Craftsperson.
Application Instructions: E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé, to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF