Community Engagement Coordinator
The San Francisco Opera Department of Diversity, Equity and Community (DEC) provides guidance and support for equitable and inclusionary community engagement and business practices. DEC provides experiential engagement opportunities for adults, kindergarten through university students, families and the community. DEC prioritizes identifying and removing barriers to racial, and cultural equity within our institution and relationships. The Community Engagement Coordinator oversees select community engagement programs, and supports the research, planning and development of equitable policies and practices. The Coordinator supervises interns and volunteers; and collaborates with internal and external stakeholders. The Coordinator is managed by the Department Director.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience
Minimum two to three years of arts administration experience, preferably in arts education with adult and family programming.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Music, opera and/or the performing arts (preferred)
- Social justice and racial equity principles
- Bay Area arts education community, education institutions, and school systems (preferred)
- Effective community engagement strategies; strong written communication skills
- Planning, organizing, and managing people and events
- Microsoft Office (ex. Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, Publisher, and PowerPoint)
- Database systems (Tessitura preferred)
- Asana project management software
- HTML and Web Content Management Systems
- Communicate tactfully, professionally, effectively, and accurately both orally and in writing
- Understand the critical importance of confidentiality, discretion, and ethical conduct in all business and professional transactions
- Establish working relationships and interact in a professional manner with a wide range of people
- Work independently and resourcefully to complete assigned tasks with initiative; while also being a collegial member of a fast-paced, integrated team
- Complete projects with a high degree of accuracy, detail, confidentiality and timeliness; and handle multiple projects simultaneously by accurately setting priorities
- Ensure reliable daily attendance and punctuality
- Work nights and weekends as assigned
- Thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
- Lift up to 25 lbs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Coordinates and assists in implementation and administrative aspects of new and emerging community engagement initiatives, including but not limited to professional developments, workshops, convenings, surveys, dialogues and gatherings
- Supports the implementation of education and community engagement programs, including; Student and Senior Final Dress Rehearsal and its subsequent programs, Opera Aficionado, Opera Nova, as well as symposia, community events, senior lectures, movie screenings, family workshops, and other programs to be developed
- Supports department-wide and company-wide, and community-based projects, working collaboratively with other departments and external partners and stakeholders including but not limited to other arts and community organizations on projects that connect and engage the community with the work of the SF Opera
- Supports the Community Engagement Manager in implementation of the Opera Arts Resources in Action (ARIA) program, SF Opera’s K-12 residency program
- Serve as department liaison to Marketing and HR; participating in the weekly and bi-weekly production meetings and check-in meetings
- Represents the Department on internal and external teams and working groups as needed
- Represents the San Francisco Opera in arts, education, and social justice communities. Performs other job-related duties as assigned
EQUIPMENT OR MACHINES, IF ANY, THAT MUST BE OPERATED TO PERFORM THE POSITION ACCEPTABLY: Computer, printer, copier, telephone and other general office equipment and machines.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Indoors with temperature and noise levels typical of this environment
Applicantion Instructions: E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF