San Francisco Opera is hiring a new Chorus Director following the retirement of 35-year incumbent, Ian Robertson. The Chorus Director is responsible for the artistic standard and preparation of the San Francisco Opera Chorus, working in a high paced, international-level repertory house producing 8 mainstage operas per year in addition to other non-mainstage programming. The Chorus Director will work closely with the Opera’s Music Director, Eun Sun Kim, to ensure the very highest artistic standards in all productions.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree or higher in music-related area preferred.
- At least five years directing opera choruses, working in a variety of languages and operatic styles.
- Experience with a full-time, tenured chorus preferred.
- Knowledge of the core operatic repertoire.
- Working knowledge of Italian, French, German as well as experience preparing in Russian and Czech.
- Experience with off-stage conducting.
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to work independently; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative.
- Ability to give clear artistic feedback, and be willing and able to address artistic issues in a clear, thoughtful and timely manner.
- Ability to manage a rehearsal process and schedule to ensure a chorus is prepared for 8 or more operas a season as well as concerts and other events.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional, confidential, and tactful manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
- Available for regular night and weekend work. Is expected to attend all performances and major rehearsals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Working closely with the Music Director to ensure the highest artistic standards in the San Francisco Opera Chorus.
- Available year-round to oversee all artistic work of the Chorus in the Opera season; and for all other operatic activities where the Opera is presented or is the producer.
- Direction and instruction of the Chorus in the repertory of the season, according to the musical direction of the Music Director and guest conductors, and in accordance with schedules, collective bargaining agreements and company policies, and in versions and languages as designated by the Opera.
- Addressing artistic and other issues with Choristers as needed, and undertaking formal periodic evaluative hearings with members of the Chorus, providing feedback and placing Choristers on the training program if applicable.
- Monitoring the Chorus during performance runs and addressing issues as needed.
- Auditioning and selection of new members of the Opera Chorus (regular and extra members). Auditions may be held in San Francisco and in other locations around the country.
- Working with the Opera’s DEI programs to develop and promote strategies to increase diversity in the auditioning process.
- Chorus administrative work in cooperation with the Chorus office, including consultation on schedules, chorus divisions, numbers of choristers, Chorus communications, and union and other Chorus matters.
- Curating, preparing and, if applicable, conducting concerts of the San Francisco Opera Chorus as needed.
- Participating in chorus bit auditions with the Managing Director: Artistic.
- Working with the artistic leadership of external children’s choruses (e.g. SF Boys Chorus, SF Girls Chorus, Ragazzi, etc.) on the selection and preparation of children’s choruses for the season.
- Undertaking other musical duties as required, including backstage conducting of choruses and/or bandas.
- Manages the Associate Chorus Master.
- Advising as needed on general operatic matters, such as repertoire, casting, and scheduling
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Managing Director: Operations, Music Director, and/or General Director.
E-mail required cover letter, job application, and résumé to [email protected] or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Vaccination policy: San Francisco Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Within 24 hours of accepting a conditional offer of employment with SF Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted in the time frame stated or not granted, the conditional offer of employment will be null and void by its own terms as the condition will not have been fulfilled. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from SF Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF