San Francisco Opera will hold auditions in October/November for experienced, classically trained singers who are seeking a professional contract in the San Francisco Opera Chorus for the 2022 season. Positions for all voice parts will be available in the full-time Regular Chorus and part-time Extra Chorus, with a special need for Tenor, Baritone, and Bass voices for 2022 productions.
Musical rehearsals are currently scheduled to begin in March of 2022. Performances will take place in June and early July as part of the spring/summer season, with the fall season opening in September and ending in early December. A tentative Chorus Master Schedule will be provided with any offer.
All auditions take place at the War Memorial Opera House (301 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco) on the following dates:
Saturday, October 16, 1 to 5 pm
Saturday, October 23, 6 to 10 pm
Thursday, October 28, 6 to 10 pm
Friday, October 29, 6 to 10 pm
Tuesday, November 2, 6 to 10 pm
AUDITIONS ARE BY INVITATION ONLY
Please submit your application, resume, headshot and at least two references of recognized musical authority with whom you have worked and your first and second choices of audition dates. You must submit all material before consideration will be given for an audition.
- If you have sung with the San Francisco Opera Chorus in any of the past 5 seasons, you will automatically qualify for an audition, contingent on adherence to the COVID-19 audition protocols. Please note that You do need to submit an application, but do not need to submit letters of reference or a headshot.
- If you qualify for an audition, you will be notified via email no later than one week before the audition date. For those coming from out of town your audition date/time will be sent immediately to allow for travel arrangements.
- Once assigned an audition date/time, no changes will be made with less than 72 hour notice.
San Francisco Opera reserves the right to deny audition requests to singers who have auditioned and not been selected three (3) or more times. In some limited cases this may be waived two years from the last audition, with evidence of additional experience and/or training.
- A minimum of 4 years classical voice training – academic or private.
- Excellent sight reading ability – music and languages.
- Ability to memorize music quickly.
- Experience in another professional OPERA or SYMPHONY chorus and/or strong academic or other nonprofessional experience.
- Stage experience or significant stage training.
- Availability to work according to a complex rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Ability to take and accept stage and musical direction.
- Ability to work in a theatrical environment, including but not limited to the ability to perform in a variety of stage conditions including flat and raked stages, at stage level and on elevated platforms, and with the use of specific scenic effects including the use of stage smoke and fog simulator effects including but not limited to steam and dry ice.
Applications should be submitted 10 days prior to your desired audition date.
Final Deadline is October 23rd, 2021
Singers should submit materials to:
San Francisco Opera Chorus
301 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94102
Attn.: Noelle Romelfanger, Auditions Coordinator
E-Mail: [email protected]
COVID-19 CHORUS AUDITION PROTOCOLS
- Please note that full vaccination is required in order to audition
- As safety requirements are constantly evolving, we will confirm audition protocols ahead of any assigned audition appointment. In-house COVID-19 testing and full vaccination are currently required to access SF Opera audition spaces.
- If you are local to the San Francisco Bay Area counties, or within reasonable distance, you will be scheduled for an in-house PCR COVID test up to 72 hours prior to your scheduled audition.
- If not local to the San Francisco Bay Area, please email [email protected] in advance of submitting your application for evaluation on a case-by-case basis.
- If not a current SF Opera employee, proof of COVID-19 full vaccination must be presented along with photo identification at check-in. Digital proof, including photos of vaccine card, is permissible.
- Singers will only remove face coverings while alone in a designated warm-up space and during the active audition, and a clearance of 15 feet is required between singer and audition panel.
Regular Chorus: 2 to 3 operatic arias contrasting in style and language. One aria should be by Mozart;
If invited to sing a second audition you may be asked for a 4th aria.
Extra Chorus: 2 to 3 operatic arias contrasting in style and language. One aria should be by Mozart.
- You may be asked to sing only one aria.
- Arias should be sung in the original key and language.
- The ability to read and memorize music quickly and accurately is a must. You may be asked to sight read.
- You should anticipate the audition lasting no longer than 4 minutes; please plan your repertoire accordingly.
- San Francisco Opera will furnish an accompanist. You must provide a legible copy of each aria, in the correct key, for the accompanist.
- No guests will be permitted into the audition site.
2022 Audition Application Form
2022 Audition Request Form
2022 San Francisco Opera Chorus Auditions Information
All employment is conditioned upon your providing timely and satisfactory evidence of your ability to legally work in the United States upon your acceptance of our offer of employment, should one be extended. Should you have questions please submit them via email to [email protected]